Consecration to St. Joseph
Dear St. Joseph, be pleased to accept the consecration which I make to you of myself. I give myself to you so that you may ever be my father, my protector and my guide in the way of salvation. Obtain for me great purity of heart. Grant that by your example, all my actions may be directed to the greater glory of God, in union with the divine Heart of Jesus and the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Finally pray for me that I may be able to share in the peace and joy of your most holy death. Amen.
Choice of St. Joseph as Patron
Blessed Joseph, faithful guardian of my Redeemer, Jesus Christ, protector of your wife, the Virgin Mother of God, I choose you today to be my special patron and advocate, and I firmly resolve to honour you as such from this time onwards and always. I pray that you will receive me as your client to instruct me in every doubt, to comfort me in every affliction, and finally to defend and protect me in the hour of death. Amen.
A prayer for safe conduct through life
Blessed Joseph, father and guide of Jesus Christ in his childhood and youth, who led him safely through the desert and during his earthly pilgrimage, be also my companion and guide in this pilgrimage of life, and never permit me to turn aside from the way of God’s commandments. By my refuge in adversity, my support in temptation, my solace in affliction, until at last I arrive in the land of the living, where with you and Mary and all the saints, I may rejoice forever in Jesus my Lord. Amen.
The Memorare of St. Joseph
Remember, O most kind, most amiable, most meek, most merciful father, St. Joseph, that St. Theresa assures us that she never had recourse to your protection in vain. Animated with the same confidence, O beloved St. Joseph, I have recourse to you, and sighing out my numerous sins before you, I cast myself at your feet. O most merciful father, do not reject my humble prayer, but hear and grant my petition. Amen
Prayer to St. Joseph
Illustrious saint, that good and faithful servant to whom God confided the care of His Family on earth; whom He appointed Guardian and Protector of the life of Jesus Christ; the support and comfort of the Ever-Immaculate Virgin Mary, His mother and co-partner in His great designs for the Redemption of mankind; you who had the happiness of living thirty years with Jesus and Mary, and of dying in their arms, chaste spouse of the Mother of God; model and patron of pure souls, humble patient and resigned, be moved with the confidence I place in your intercession, and obtain for me the grace to practice every virtue which will make me pleasing to God.
We thank God for all the favours he has given us, and we request the grace through your intercession to imitate your virtues. Pray for us then, and through the love which Jesus and Mary had for you, obtain for us the incomparable happiness of living and dying with the same love for Jesus and Mary. Amen.
Prayer to St. Joseph for a Happy Death
Blessed Joseph, who died in the arms of Jesus and Mary, obtain for me, I pray, the grace of a happy death. Defend me from the attacks of the infernal enemy in that hour of pain and anguish, to which I now invite you, so that you may assist me by your presence and protect me by your power. Request your divine Son that I may breathe out my soul in praise, saying in spirit, if I am unable to do so in words: Jesus Mary and Joseph, I give you my heart and my life. Amen.
Prayers for those who are dying
Eternal Father, by your love for St. Joseph, whom you selected from among all men to represent You upon earth, have mercy on us and on the dying. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
Eternal Divine Son, by your love for St. Joseph, who was your faithful Guardian upon earth, have mercy on us and on the dying. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
Eternal Divine Spirit, by your love for St. Joseph, who so carefully watched over Mary his beloved spouse, have mercy on us and on the dying. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
Sorrows and Joys of St. Joseph
1. Most glorious St. Joseph, by your grief before you understood that the mystery of the Incarnation was wrought in Mary, and by your joy when that mystery was revealed to you – obtain the favours I ask. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
2. Most glorious St. Joseph, by your grief at witnessing the cold and poverty of Jesus in the manger of Bethlehem, and by your joy on hearing the hymns of the angels and on seeing the adoration of the kings – obtain the favours I ask. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
3. Most glorious St. Joseph, by your grief when you saw the precious blood of Jesus flow in his circumcision, and by your joy on hearing the sweet name of Jesus – obtain the favours I ask. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
4. Most glorious St. Joseph, by your grief when Simeon foretold that a sword would pierce the soul of Mary, and by your joy on hearing that Jesus would be for the salvation of many – obtain the favours I ask. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
5. Most glorious St. Joseph, by your grief when you fled with Jesus into Egypt, and by your joy on seeing the idols fall – obtain the favours I ask. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
6. Most glorious St. Joseph, by your grief on hearing of the cruelty of Herod, and by your joy when the angel announced your safe return to Galilee – obtain the favours I ask. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
7. Most glorious St. Joseph, by your grief at the loss of Jesus, and by your joy at finding him again sitting among the doctors in the Temple – obtain the favours I ask. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory Be…
“St. Joseph will provide!”
Oh by all the peaceful years,
By all the dangers run,
By all the joys and all the fears
For Mary and her Son;
Oh by the peaceful failing breath,
Jesus and Mary nigh,
Be with us Joseph at our death,
And help us all to die.